As a trusted nonprofit with long-standing ties in the community, ACH was well positioned to demonstrate what a true community-based model of foster care could look like in Texas. To rally the community and to manage the functions of the Single Source Continuum Contractor (SSCC), ACH launched a new division in 2014, and chose the name "Our Community, Our Kids," to convey the underpinning philosophy that abused and neglected children who live in our community belong in our community. We have a collective responsibility for their well-being.
As the SSCC for the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services in Region 3b, OCOK oversees the care of children in Texas Region 3b, which includes Tarrant, Palo Pinto, Parker, Johnson, Hood, Somervell and Erath counties. Key deliverables include:
- Find the best match placement within 4 hours of referral
- Seek to place children within their home community (preferably within 50 miles)
- Maintain children in stable and safe placements
- Place children with their siblings
- No eject/No reject referrals
The power of Community-Based Care is delivering improved child welfare in Region 3b and through the work of OCOK, ACH is proud to continue pioneering this thoughtful model in the years to come.